The workshop is intended to bring together scientists using and developing Infrared and Raman spectroscopy for microbial, plant, animal or human cells,
tissues, and body fluids. Following the lines of our first successful workshop in October 1996 in Berlin, a major point of discussion will be FT-IR diagnostic
in medical and other fields of microbiology. The aim of the meeting is also to facilitate the exchange of ideas, practical problem solutions and
experiences in the field of vibrational spectroscopy as a new tool in biomedical diagnostic.
Tentative list of topics to be included:
- Medical and environmental microbiology
- Epidemiological studies, maintenance of culture collections, therapy control, investigation of infection chains
- Microbiological quality control in the pharmaceutical, food, water supply industries, and in biotechnology
- Hygiene control
- Analysis of biofilm production
- Analysis of cell-drug interaction
- New trends in spectral data analysis of complex biological structures
- Microspectroscopic characterization of microbial microcolonies, single cells, inclusion bodies in tissues, small particles in body fluids
- Infrared and Raman microspectroscopic characterization of healthy and malignant tissues, vibrational spectroscopic imaging
The workshop will consist of one and a half days of lectures (15 to 30 minutes). A limited number of poster presentations can be arranged.
The working language of the workshop will be English, lectures given in German are however acceptable.
Abstracts are required for all presentations.
Deadline for abstract submission: August 31st, 1998
All abstracts should be sent by E-mail or on disc in the format of MS Word for Windows 95 or MS Word for Windows Vers. 6.0.
Please, send abstracts as an attachment from PC or UNIX (don't use Macintosh!) by any mailer, but we prefer Netscape mail or MS Internet mail.
For preparing the abstract, please use the following form:
Title of the Lecture and Poster: Times New Roman, bold, italics, 14 pt centered, one line skipped, 14 pt
Abstracts of all lectures and posters will be published in a special edition of the "Informationsbulletin" of the "Forum FTIR Diagnostik"
available at the registration desk of the workshop.
Name of the author(s): Times New Roman, 14 pt, centered, one line skipped 12 pt
University, Institute, Address: Times New Roman, 12 pt, centered
The name of the author who will present the paper should be underlined.
The whole abstract should fit into a 160 x 245 mm portrait-oriented rectangle
(paper format: 210 x 297 mm). The upper and left margins should be set
to 25 mm. The text of the abstract should be single spaced and written
using Times New Roman font, 12 pt.
The following scientists have already acccepted the invitation to give a lecture (in alphabetic order):
- H. Fabian (Berlin/Germany): FT-IR-microspectroscopy on tissues
- H.H. Mantsch (Winnipeg/Kanada): Infrared spectroscopy: new tool in medicine
- G. Puppels (Rotterdam/The Netherlands): Microbial characterization by Raman spectroscopy
- J. Schmitt (Mülheim/Germany): Neural nets and feature selection in vibrational spectroscopy
- H. Seiler (München/Germany): FT-IR spectroscopy on yeasts
- G. Sockalingum (Reims/France): Drug-cell interaction detected by FT-IR spectroscopy
PD Dr. D. Naumann, RKI Berlin, Tel. 030 18754 2259, e-mail: email@example.com
J. Schmitt, IWW, Mülheim, Tel. 0208 40303 435 (401),e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. F. Mertens, Bruker Analytische Meßtechnik GmbH, Tel. 0721 9528 743, e-mail: email@example.com